In South Carolina, officers may arrest individuals without a warrant; however, the officer’s preferred procedure is to obtain an active warrant before the arrest. Exceptions include when an officer witnesses a crime or when getting a warrant may result in the suspect’s escape. To obtain an arrest warrant, the officer must “swear out a warrant” before a Magistrate Court judge by filing an affidavit and complaint setting forth the facts to demonstrate that the alleged suspect committed the crime. Once the judge signs the warrant, it is directed to all law enforcement officers to apprehend and detain the suspect until he appears before a judge for a hearing. To perform a warrant search in Greenwood County, you may begin by checking the online court case system.
Greenwood County arrest records and warrants.
To search for outstanding warrants and court cases in Greenwood County, contact the Magistrate Court or the Clerk of Court to obtain copies of court records or get more information about the status of the case.
Greenwood County Sheriff’s Office
To get arrest record information, you should contact the Greenwood County Sheriff’s Office. They are located at 528 Edgefield Street in Greenwood, SC 29646. Ask to speak with the warrant division or records division for information.
How do you get Greenwood County arrest records and information on warrants over the phone? (2021-relevant)
At the very outset, let’s get one thing straight- You cannot get a background check done over the phone nor can you get a criminal history report or even the complete arrest records of your subject simply by making a call.
However, if you are interested in specific information, you may have luck with the options listed below:
- Contact the warrant officer at the Sheriff’s Office. Call on the phone number (864) 943-8032 to learn about active warrants against a specific subject or to complain about someone who has outstanding warrants in his name.
- Get in touch with the records clerk on (864) 943-8036 for open records and details on launching a criminal history search through the agency.
- Call the administrative assistant of the Detention Center on (864) 943-8061 for details on bookings and releases.
- Make a call to the office of the county clerk on (864) 942-8575 for court dockets and other judicial records
- Connect with the Court of the Magistrate on 864-942-8655 for details on arrest warrants
Crime statistics for Greenwood County, SC
The Sheriff’s Office of Greenwood had a very good year in 2019, with a significant reduction in both violent and property crime rates. As far as the specific figures went, the incident rate for violent crimes plunged by almost 15%, going from 686 to 576 incidents, between 2018 and 2019.
The drop in the rates of property crimes was even more substantial at almost 20%, going from 3100 complaints to around 2500 incidents.
In Greenwood County, crime rates between 1999 and 2008 increased by almost forty-five percent overall; however, violent crimes decreased by roughly three percent. Only 23 murders were reported in Greenwood County during the 10-year period. The majority of crimes (84%) were related to theft and burglary. On average, about one crime occurred every three hours, with half of those crimes occurring less than one mile from the victim’s home.